Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I saw a mermaid

Image from here.

Last night I saw Splash for the first time ever and was struck by how sweet and simple the movie was.

As the Marja mentioned it was quite risque at the time but would probably be deemed a Walt Disney movie nowadays.

I've always been fascinated with mermaids whether it was the sparkly Ariel in The Little Mermaid or the vicious  sirens of ancient mythology. I think my first ever experience of the mysterious creature was in Disney's Peter Pan. I remember thinking they were beautiful




Image from here.

I used to spend hours in the pool pretending I had a scaled tail and was able to breath underwater. It was awesome.

The name "Mermaid" is a combination of mere, which means sea in Old English and maid, which is a woman.

Quite a number of people I've spoken to say they don't like the portrayal of the mermaids in the most recent Pirates of the Caribbean installation but I think it's fantastic. As much as I fell in love with the mythical creature because of Disney, historically they are not as good-hearted and gentle as the favourite children's story-teller has shown them to be.

Mermaids are meant to harsh creatures which lure seamen into the water with their enchanting voices. It's pretty bad-ass if you ask me.

What's your favourite mythical creature? 

1 comment:

Robyn said...

mermaids are my favourite mythological creatures too! Faries are second. Then UNICORNS. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails